Friday, July 1, 2011

Day 1- Your current relationship

Alright people, Day 1 is here. Today's topic: Discuss your current relationship.

Be prepared to get sick. I don't mean like you have a cold. I mean like sappy, grody, sick to your stomach, blech. Because I am about to espouse the wonders of my current relationship with my husband, Michael. I say his name and do a little girly sigh inside, because my husband is the dreamiest. You'd think after 11 years of marriage I'd be sick of this guy but no, I still really love him.

I guess I'll start from the beginning on the rare chance that you haven't heard this story for the millionth time. I met my husband at band camp. We are both musicians (hence the name of the blog) and at the time that we met, Michael was teaching band at a high school. Being the young thing that I am, I was still in college but was on staff for their summer marching camp. The week before the camp where I met Michael, I had taught a different camp with some friends from college. During the first camp, I had officially made a pact with God that I was through with dating. I had been single for a few months and there were zero prospects out there. I had even contemplating transferring schools. But then, I met Michael.

We both remember the exact moment that we met. I was nasty dirty gross from teaching outside and I think I was even wearing a hat (which I almost never do). Michael was mingling with the kids and we both looked up and kind of locked eyes. I new that he was the "new" assistant band director because I had taught the camp the year before. I would love to say that this was love at first sight but it wasn't. Don't get me wrong, I thought he was cute but I wasn't sold on him yet. In fact, it took a little while for me to come around. Mostly because after I had showered off the dirty nasty and started a load of laundry in the dorm facilities where we were staying, I went to visit Michael at his room. I am a friendly person, so I went to introduce myself. Michael had his entire life in this little dorm room: computer, stereo, bed spread, books, printer, everything. We started chatting and he starting digging on my college. He HATED my school and thought everyone that went to my school was a stuck up snob. I walked away thinking, "I'm glad I never have to see this guy again."

Regardless of our first meeting, there was something about Michael that kept drawing me to him. I firmly believe that it was God. God had a bigger plan than either of us could see and it was for us to be together. The whole week, I would talk to Michael and everyone kept pushing us together. The kids, the parents, the other band director, they all thought we made a good couple. We even won that as an award at the camp "best couple".

I wasn't convinced that Michael was the one for me and I will tell you why in another post. But that is all for today because I have a life and need to get to it. Check back later for part 2 of my story with Michael.

Have a blessed day and thanks for reading my blog!


--------

I'm Back! Here to continue the story.

Why did I not think Michael was for me? Even though all signs were pointing (pushing me) to him? Michael was not a follower of Christ when I first met him. He didn't NOT believe but no one had ever really talked with him about a personal relationship with Christ. I, having grown up with a strong faith, was not willing to enter into a relationship with a man that did not have the same faith as me. There was a reason God kept bringing us together, it was to lead Michael to Christ. I don't talk about this often because it is really Michael's story to tell.

Before Michael was lead to Christ, we spent a lot of time talking. We wrote emails, talked on the phone, and went on a "date". I told him that it was not a date because we were just friends (seeing as how I would not date a Non-Christian) but it ended up being a date after dessert. Because we were just getting to know one another, we asked each other all kinds of questions. What's your favorite vegetable? What's your favorite drink? Coke or Pepsi? What's your favorite dessert? It turns out that our favorite dessert was the same thing. We both LOVED Cheesecake. When the waiter came and asked what we wanted, we said we would like cheesecake. Dessert came to the table: one slice of cheesecake, two forks. We were officially on a date.

Michael and I continued this "friendship" and it grew and grew and grew. Michael accepted Christ. I fell fast and hard in love with my new best friend. We have been best friends ever since. Engaged after only four months of dating, a year long engagement, and eleven years of marriage, and we are still stuck like glue to each other's hips. (Prepare barf bags now) I know that God drew us together all those years ago so because he made us for one another. He compliments and completes me in a way that only the Maker and Creator would know how. We are one in our marriage and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

I love you, Michael!

Thanks for reading. Tomorrow is Day 2!!

No comments:

Post a Comment